emailGet the latest news from Opsview
You are here
- The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is a private research university in Cambridge, Massachusetts which has a strong emphasis on scientific, engineering, and technological education and research.
- MIT’s Associate Director of Operations and Infrastructure, Mark Silas, heads up the team responsible for the technologies that enable delivery of service and maintenance of communications at the university. This includes developing key IT projects on campus and at MIT’s data centers as well as server and system administration, virtualization, networks, and security responsibilities.
The Need for IT Monitoring
- MIT has a complex infrastructure environment comprised of approximately 2500 servers across three data centers in the Boston metropolitan area. MIT had previously used in-house developed monitoring tools based on Nagios. The scale of the environment was starting to reach the limits of the platform and MIT needed to find a way to take its Nagios investment to the next level.
Why Opsview Worked
- MIT selected Opsview primarily due to its scalability and the ease of migration from Nagios. Since Opsview is built on the open source Nagios platform, it allowed MIT to utilize their entire existing monitoring infrastructure but with enhanced functionality, thanks to Opsview’s out-of-the-box service checks, configurable dashboards and reporting features. This now provides MIT with an overall management view of their infrastructure environment.
- Opsview has allowed MIT to distribute its workload across multiple servers to greatly improve notification times and performance, allowing the team to be more proactive in preventing outages and giving them the new capability of evaluating the health and performance of the infrastructure in a single pane of glass.