You are here
This sends alerts into a Slack room, for example: #support.
Slack is a 'chat room', that allows teams of Users to collaborate over the internet. The value-add over a chatroom is that Slack allows 'inbound integrations' from various tools such as Opsview Monitor. This means that an 'Operations team' can have a chat room, where alerts from Opsview are sent - they can discuss and view Notifications in the same forum - as opposed to a standalone email.
Users need to setup an account on Slack and follow the steps below to activate it on the Opsview system.
- First, in Opsview, activate the method by setting it to 'Enable', click 'Submit Changes' and go to Configuration > Apply Changes to make this change available to the Users screen.
- Go to http://www.slack.com and sign up, if you do not already have an account. it will take you through the basic setup process of creating teams and rooms.
- Once the setup is finished, log in and click on Integrations on the left-hand side. Then click on 'Make your own' which will take you down to the bottom of the screen.
- After clicking 'Or, make your own!' click on the 'View button next to 'Incoming WebHooks':
- Within the 'Incoming WebHooks' window, select the channel you wish to send Opsview Monitor Notifications into. In our example, we are going to send Notifications into the #support slack channel:
- Once you have selected a channel, simply click on the 'Add Incoming WebHooks Integration' and your new WebHook is created:
- Now that we have our WebHook, we can configure the Slack Notification Method :
The 'WebHook URL' is visible in the screen above, and the 'Channel' was set during the creation of the WebHook; i.e. #support.
A Notification Profile that uses the 'Slack' Notification Method must be configured. This is covered in Section 'Notification Profiles'.
Once the Notification Profile is configured, Notifications should start arriving in the #support Slack room: