You are here
The email Notification Method requires minimal configuration:
- Name: A name for the Notification Method
- Enable: Tick that box to make the Email Notification Method available to use when creating Notification Profiles. Submitting a change to this checkbox will require to Apply Changes from the Configuration menu.
- Run on: to set the system to send alerts either via the Orchestrator or the Collector servers (this can be useful if you have different configurations for postfix, sendmail, etc on your Collector servers than your Orchestrator).
- Command: This is the script to execute. It is assumed that this script is stored in /opt/opsview/monitoringscripts/notifications. Add any command arguments as required if modifying the Notification Method .
- User variables: 'EMAIL' is the name of a Variable that will be passed to the notify_by_email script and its value is the destination E-mail address for the Notification that will be defined in the User profile setup on the Configuration > Users and Roles > Users page.
The 'notify_by_email' command will use the configuration defined on the local server; be it the Orchestrator or the Collector server. The local email server configuration can be one of many including:
- .. more.
Simply ensure that the local mail server is configured correctly and can successfully deliver emails to email addresses. Generally configuring the local email server as a simple relay Host is sufficient, i.e. setting 'relayHost = mail.company.com' for example (For postfix: /etc/postfix/main.cf )
To change the 'sender address' for email notifications, simply modify /etc/mailname for the domain section (i.e. right of '@'). To modify the User/account section, i.e. 'opsview@', follow the specific guides for your email server of choice. In postfix, you can adjust this using the 'sender_canonical_maps' configuration parameter. For a guide see the Ubuntu Forums post here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=38429.
The email template is written in Template Toolkit and exists in /opt/opsview/monitoringscripts/notifications/com.opsview.notificationmethods.email.tt.
You can customize this file, but be aware that it will be overwritten as part of any future upgrades.