You are here
Everything you need to know about Opsview Monitor 5.0
With each new version release of Opsview Monitor, new and improved features are delivered as we continue to enhance our monitoring solution to fit the constantly evolving needs of sysadmins. Our recent release of Opsview Monitor 5.0 is our biggest and most exciting update so far, containing several large scale product changes that will modernize the way you monitor your systems. From the completely redesigned UI to compelling analytics that will help you work 50% faster, here are the new capabilities of Opsview Monitor 5.0 that will provide impactful insights to your IT infrastructure and make your life easier as a result.
New User Interface
A major new aspect of Opsview Monitor 5.0 is the revamped, streamlined and intuitive user interface (UI). Our UI is designed in a way that is easy to navigate and allows you to identify and obtain the information you need in less than 3 clicks, resulting in 50% faster time to insight. Along with our customizable dashboards, here are several other standout features of Opsview Monitor 5.0.
- New menu system - Modern, searchable menu which splits Opsview into three sections; Monitoring, Settings and Help. There is also a 'Most Used' section where the 12 most-clicked menu options will appear. The menu can be loaded by pressing the menu icon OR 'CTRL+ALT+M'.
- New events viewer - Redesigned events viewer that scales to thousands of events easily. Provides in-depth, intuitive filtering along with exporting and audible notifications.
- New graph center - Allows you to quickly graph and analyze thousands of data points together (which substantially improves your analytics), with simple mouse-overs to see more detail. View 100s of graphs in five clicks or less; can be used to show all graphs within a hashtag, host(s), host group(s), all hosts using a service check or host template and more.
- Tips engine - series of guides on each screen which walk you through the usage and all elements of the screen.
- New host groups, hosts and services section - completely redesigned section for viewing health of host groups, hosts, and service checks, all within the same view. Investigate windows for hosts and services allow focused investigation of items. Mass actions have been redesigned to make it easier to recheck, acknowledge, set downtime and set the status of service checks.
- Bulk edit of hosts - Hosts can now be bulk edited, changing items such as the monitoring server, check period, host templates, hashtags, and more.
Opsview Monitor Watchdog
Opsview Monitor 5.0 is a ‘self-healing’ system and that is thanks to our newly introduced ‘Opsview Watchdog’ feature. Opsview Watchdog provides monitoring of performance and stability for individual processes and auto restarts any process that has failed, which significantly improves system stability. With this new capability, Opsview Monitor 5.0 not only monitors itself, but fixes itself, all automatically!
Opsview Monitor 5.0 has a wide range of other enhancements and improvements including:
Improved RRD performance
RRD performance has been greatly improved, including multi-thread handling to ensure graphs are updated much quicker.
We have invested a great amount of time reinventing the host edit window; allowing you to test every facet of your configuration before you submit changes and reload. This includes detecting when variables (formerly 'attributes') are required for a service check, and the ability to test a service check (with said variables) at the settings level ahead of a reload.
REST API improvements
Graph API now supports searching for Host Service Metrics, eg: opsview::Connectivity - LAN::rta based on hostname, servicename and metricname with wildcards. Status and Runtime queries supports has_perfdata flag to only include services with performance data.
- Improved language support for German and Spanish
- All notes for objects are converted to an HTML format. Comments within Nagios will be migrated into the notes for the host or service
Time zone support
Opsview Monitor 5.0 now fully supports multi-time zones, displaying data within the UI in your local time zone and allowing you to schedule downtime, re-checks and more using your local time zone. This is a great step forward for our large, global customers.
Many thanks for reading and we hope you enjoy our new additions! If you have any questions about Opsview Monitor 5.0, please contact Opsview’s Customer Success Team who will be happy to assist you. To see exactly what has changed from version to version, see our changelog here.
For further information on Opsview Monitor 5.0, see below to watch a newly released video which provides a demo introduction and visual representation of our version release. If you are looking for a more 'research orientated' document on Opsview 5.0, access an impact brief titled 'Opsview Streamlines IT Systems Monitoring with 5.0 Release' written by EMA (Enterprise Management Associates) by clicking here.