You are here

Monitoring Windows 2012 and SQL 2012

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
alseenu
alseenu's picture
Monitoring Windows 2012 and SQL 2012

Hi,

We have windows 2012 servers and SQL 2012 servers that we would like to monitor using OpsView. I would really appriciate if I can get any pointers in this direction. All the SQL plugin I saw were for only uptil SQL 2008. We have SQL 2012 AlwaysOn configured. 

Thanks,

Sreeni.

smarsh
smarsh's picture
Re: Monitoring Windows 2012 and SQL 2012

Hi,

You could always find the WMI counters for SQL 2012 that you wish to monitor, and create your own service checks. I wrote a guide on doing this, here http://www.everybodyhertz.co.uk/wmi-counters-with-nagios-opsview/

Best,

Sam

alseenu
alseenu's picture

Hi,

Thanks for the document. It was helpful and I installed NSClient++ on the target machine. After that when I ran check_NRPE, I keep getting socket timedout. What should I be looking into for this? 

[cuser@server02 libexec]$ ./check_nrpe -H xx.xx.xxx.xxx -c nsc_checkcounter -a '"\SQLServer:Databases(*)\Transactions/sec" MaxWarn=2000 MaxCrit=3000 ShowAll'   CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.   Thanks, Sreeni.   
smarsh
smarsh's picture

I'd check the agent is actually started, and that there isnt a firewall in between blocking the port (5666, from memory).

richard2014tt
richard2014tt's picture

hi Sam,

The metrics listed by typeperf.exe are no different than what are shown from Perfmon GUI. From the object"SQL Server:Availability Replica", we didn't find any counters that can monitor an AlwaysOn Availability Group failover event. Basically when a failover happens between our AlwaysOn nodes, we want to be notified. Do you know if SQL Server 2012 has builtin counters that opsview can grab?

Thanks

Richard