You are here

Using generic NRPE agent to monitor Ubuntu 13.04/13.10 hosts

1 post / 0 new
dwalter
dwalter's picture
Using generic NRPE agent to monitor Ubuntu 13.04/13.10 hosts

I'm new to Opsview and Nagios, just got my Pro server setup today in Ec2.  I'll be using monitor my Linux boxes of varying distros in a couple of locations.  Some of my Linux boxes are running non-LTS releases of Ubuntu meaning no opsview agent.  Is there a pre-built nrpe config file that enables the same plugins used by the Opsview built agents?

Or some instructions that I'm missing for untilzing vinilla Nagios NRPE agents?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Dylan

Edit: I figured this out.  I had misinterpreted the nagios documentation and thought that there was significant configuration needed to enable the Nagios plugins, ect.  It turns out on Ubuntu/Debian all you need to do is intall the packages as shown below:

sudo apt-get install nagios-plugins nagios-plugins-basic nagios-plugins-common nagios-plugins-standard nagios-plugins-contrib nagios-plugins-extra nagios-nrpe-server --no-install-recommends

the --no-install-recommends is important or it will try and install full on nagios.

The edit /etc/nagios/nrpe_local.cfg and set your opsview server IP as the allowed IP.

A lot of my checks freaked out for a bit when I first enabled the host, I'm going to attribute this to the smaller packet size vinilla nrpe has as oppsed to the opsview agent.