Serious puzzle here ..
I had been re-jigging some attributes, and hostgroups and service groups and all were well .. stepped aside for a coffee, then came back 10 minutes later to add new hosts, and:
- out of about 30 hosts that were there, only 3 are listed now (probably the last 3 hosts I entered)
- similarly all other hostgroups are gone, except the hostgroup for the 3 hosts listed in the hosts section
- similar situation with hostgroup hierarchy: only hostgroup for 3 visible hosts is show
- Meanwhile, all monitoring status pages are correct and display all hosts and checks
- all checks and alerts seem to be working
So, I went down to the OS, but no suspect issues are reported in the opsview logs within /var/log/opsview .. mysql is up and serving .. no errors in error logs.
Logged into mysql, and 'select name,ip from hosts;' shows all my hosts are still there .. similarly ' select name from hostgroups;' shows all the hostgroups are still intact.
The only clue I can see so far that it could be a permissions issue is: if I go to the host templates list, and then click the name of any of the missing hosts, I end up on a page with a message displayed in a textbox with yellow background and a message 'Access Denied' ..
But I have full admin privilleges, and the Administrator role where it comes from has been authorised for everything .. even viewport.
I have restarted all nagios and mysql related services several times, but there has been no change in the status. Next step would be to start stracing the opsview-web process for clues as to what it's trying to do .. But I am sure there has to be a much simpler way to go about this.
Would really appreciate any helpful suggestions or pointers ..